QuillBot Review: The Best AI Paraphrasing Tool for Writers, Students, and Professionals?

AI Writing & Text

QuillBot Review The Best AI Paraphrasing Tool for Writers, Students, and Professionals?

By Ryan Cole | June 13, 2026 | 11 min read

QuillBot Review The Best AI Paraphrasing Tool for Writers, Students, and Professionals?

I still remember the first time I really needed a paraphrasing tool. I was rewriting a blog section that I had written myself, and I kept using the same words over and over. I stared at the screen for twenty minutes trying to find a different way to say "improve your workflow." The sentence was fine. It was accurate. But I had used that exact phrase three times in the same article, and it sounded lazy. I opened QuillBot on a colleague's recommendation, pasted the sentence in, and within seconds I had five fresh ways to say the same thing. One of them was perfect. I edited it slightly, dropped it into the article, and moved on. That was over two years ago. Since then, QuillBot has become one of those tools I do not think about much — but I use it constantly.

Over those two years, I have tested QuillBot across a wide range of tasks. Paraphrasing my own writing to avoid repetition. Rewording research from other sources to present it in my own voice. Checking grammar with the built-in checker. Summarizing long articles before deciding whether to read the whole thing. Generating citations. Even translating content between languages when I needed a quick draft. QuillBot has grown from a simple paraphrasing tool into a full writing suite, and millions of users have noticed.

This review is based on all that real-world use. It is not based on a quick test or what the QuillBot marketing page promises. I will show you exactly what QuillBot can do, where it struggles, how much it costs, who should use it, and who should look for alternatives. If you are a writer, a student, or a professional trying to decide whether this tool is worth your time and money, this is the only review you need to read.

What Exactly Is QuillBot?

QuillBot is an AI-powered writing assistant that started with one core mission: to be the best paraphrasing tool on the market. It was founded in 2017 by a team of computer science students who saw that most paraphrasing tools produced awkward, robotic output that was barely usable. Their goal was to build something that understood context, preserved meaning, and produced natural-sounding alternative text. That focus on paraphrasing quality is what set QuillBot apart from the beginning.

Over time, the tool expanded. Today, QuillBot is not just a paraphraser. It includes a grammar checker, a summarizer, a citation generator, a plagiarism checker (in partnership with Turnitin), a translator, and more. The company was acquired by Course Hero in 2021, which brought additional resources and accelerated development. QuillBot now claims over 50 million users worldwide, and it is widely used by students, academic researchers, content writers, and business professionals.

The core technology behind QuillBot uses natural language processing models that have been trained specifically on the task of paraphrasing. Unlike general AI chatbots that can do many things, QuillBot's models are optimized for understanding sentence structure, word relationships, and contextual meaning. This specialization matters. A general AI can paraphrase, but a purpose-built paraphrasing tool does it with more consistency and nuance.

How I Tested QuillBot for This Review

I have been using QuillBot for over two years, but for this review I conducted a structured four-week testing period across all its major features. Here is exactly what I tested:

  1. Paraphrasing my own writing: Blog sections, emails, social media captions, and product descriptions that needed varied wording.
  2. Paraphrasing research sources: Academic abstracts, news articles, and technical documentation, rewritten in my own voice.
  3. Grammar checking: Deliberately error-filled drafts checked against QuillBot's grammar tool and compared with Grammarly.
  4. Summarization: Long articles, reports, and PDFs condensed into key points.
  5. Citation generation: APA, MLA, and Chicago format citations for various source types.
  6. Translation: English to Spanish, French, and Arabic, with native speaker verification.
  7. Tone testing: All paraphrasing modes (Standard, Fluency, Formal, Simple, Creative, Expand, Shorten, Custom).
  8. Plagiarism checking: Content scanned against the premium plagiarism checker.

I tested both the free plan and the Premium subscription. I used the web version on desktop, the Chrome extension, and the Microsoft Word add-in to get a full picture of the user experience across different workflows.

What QuillBot Does Really Well

QuillBot has earned its reputation for a reason. In several areas, it genuinely excels, and for specific tasks, I have not found a better tool at any price point.

1. Paraphrasing Quality Is Excellent

This is the heart of QuillBot, and it delivers. The paraphrasing engine understands context better than any other tool I have tested. It does not just swap words with synonyms. It restructures sentences, adjusts tone, and preserves the original meaning while producing genuinely different text.

I tested this with a tricky paragraph that contained technical terms and nuanced language. I pasted it into QuillBot, selected Standard mode, and the output was impressive. It kept the technical terms intact — which is exactly what you want — while rewording the surrounding language enough to make the paragraph feel fresh. I then tested the same paragraph in Creative mode, and the output was substantially different in sentence structure while still accurate in meaning. This is not easy to do. Most paraphrasers either change too little to be useful or change too much and distort the meaning. QuillBot walks that line well.

2. Multiple Paraphrasing Modes for Different Needs

QuillBot offers eight paraphrasing modes, and each one serves a distinct purpose. This is not a gimmick. I use different modes for different tasks, and the flexibility is genuinely useful.

  • Standard: Balanced rewording. Good for general use when you want a fresh version without dramatic changes.
  • Fluency: Focuses on making text read more smoothly. Excellent for polishing awkward sentences and fixing grammar while paraphrasing.
  • Formal: Elevates the tone for professional or academic contexts. I use this for client emails and reports.
  • Simple: Makes text more accessible. Useful when explaining complex topics to a general audience.
  • Creative: The most substantial rewording. Sentence structures change significantly. Best for avoiding repetition in creative writing.
  • Expand: Adds detail and length. Helpful when you need to flesh out a thin paragraph.
  • Shorten: Condenses text. I use this for social media captions and meta descriptions.
  • Custom: Lets you define specific preferences for how you want the paraphrasing to behave.

For content creators who need to produce varied, non-repetitive writing across different platforms and audiences, this mode flexibility is a significant advantage. The way you structure your input also matters — I covered prompt and input optimization in my guide to writing better AI prompts.

3. The Synonym Slider Gives You Control

A feature I did not expect to love as much as I do: the Synonym slider. When QuillBot paraphrases your text, it highlights changed words and lets you click on any of them to see alternative synonyms. You can adjust the overall synonym level with a slider, but the real power is in clicking individual words and choosing exactly which synonym fits your intent.

This small interaction turns paraphrasing from a black box into a collaborative process. You are not just accepting or rejecting the output. You are fine-tuning it word by word. This matters when you are working on content where specific word choices carry weight — like marketing copy, academic writing, or sensitive professional communication.

4. The Grammar Checker Is Solid (With a Caveat)

QuillBot's grammar checker is built into the paraphrasing workflow, which means you can fix grammar and rephrase at the same time. It catches common errors: subject-verb agreement, punctuation, tense consistency, wordiness. In my testing, it performed comparably to Grammarly for basic and intermediate errors.

However, Grammarly's advanced suggestions — tone detection, clarity improvements, engagement scoring — are more sophisticated. QuillBot's grammar checker is a helpful addition to the paraphrasing tool, not a full replacement for a dedicated grammar assistant. If you want a deep comparison of editing tools, I put Grammarly side by side with ProWritingAid in this article.

5. Summarizer That Actually Condenses

The summarizer tool lets you paste long text and get either a key sentences summary or a paragraph summary. I tested it with a 3,000-word research article, and the paragraph summary captured the core argument, methodology, and conclusion accurately in about 150 words. It was not perfect — it missed a nuance in the methodology — but for getting the gist of an article quickly, it is fast and reliable.

Where QuillBot Falls Short

QuillBot is strong, but it is not flawless. There are several weaknesses you should understand before committing to a paid plan.

1. The Free Plan Is Frustratingly Limited

This is my biggest complaint about QuillBot. The free plan restricts you to 125 words in the paraphraser. One hundred and twenty-five words. That is roughly two short paragraphs. If you are writing anything longer than a social media caption, you will hit this limit constantly. It also limits you to two paraphrasing modes (Standard and Fluency) and locks the other six modes behind the paywall.

I understand that companies need to convert free users to paid. But 125 words is so restrictive that it makes the free plan feel more like a demo than a usable tool. Compare this to tools like Rytr or ChatGPT, which offer enough free usage to do real work and evaluate the product properly. If you are considering QuillBot, you will almost certainly need the Premium plan to use it for anything meaningful.

2. Premium Pricing Adds Up

QuillBot Premium costs $19.95 per month when billed monthly, $13.33 per month when billed annually ($159.96 total), or $8.33 per month when billed every three years ($299.95 total). For a single-purpose tool — paraphrasing is still the main feature — this is not cheap. It is less than Jasper or ChatGPT Plus, but more than budget AI writers like Rytr, which I reviewed alongside other tools here.

The value depends entirely on how much you paraphrase. If you are a student writing papers weekly, a content writer producing daily blog posts, or a professional who regularly rewrites reports and communications, the time saved justifies the cost. If you only need to paraphrase occasionally, the price is hard to justify. I will break down exactly who should pay for Premium later in this review.

3. Not a Full Writing Assistant

QuillBot is excellent at paraphrasing, summarizing, and checking grammar. It is not a content generation tool. It will not write a blog post from scratch. It will not brainstorm ideas or create outlines or draft emails. If you need an AI tool that generates original content, QuillBot is the wrong product. You need something like ChatGPT, Jasper, or Claude.

This is not really a weakness — it is a design choice. QuillBot focuses on enhancing and refining existing text, not creating new text. But it is important to understand what you are buying. If you want an all-in-one AI writer, QuillBot will leave you wanting more. If you specifically need paraphrasing, summarization, and grammar checking, it is one of the best tools available.

4. Occasional Meaning Shifts in Creative Mode

Creative mode is the most aggressive paraphrasing setting, and sometimes it changes the meaning in subtle but important ways. I tested this with a sentence that contained a conditional statement: "If the data supports the hypothesis, the team will proceed with the next phase." Creative mode changed it to "The team will move forward with the next phase when the data backs the hypothesis." The meaning is close, but "when" implies more certainty than "if." In casual writing, this does not matter. In academic or legal writing, it matters a lot.

The solution is simple: always review Creative mode output carefully. Do not trust it blindly. This is true of all AI tools, but Creative mode requires more vigilance than Standard or Fluency.

5. The Plagiarism Checker Costs Extra

The plagiarism checker is not included in the Premium plan. It is a separate add-on, and it is priced per page or through a separate subscription. This can be frustrating if you expected Premium to include everything. Many users assume "Premium" means all features, and QuillBot's marketing could be clearer on this point. If plagiarism checking is important to your workflow, factor this additional cost into your decision.

QuillBot vs. The Competition

QuillBot dominates the paraphrasing space, but it does have competitors. Here is how it stacks up against the alternatives I have tested.

QuillBot vs. Grammarly

Grammarly is a grammar and clarity checker first, with a paraphrasing feature added later. Its paraphrasing is serviceable — it offers rewrites for clarity, tone, and length — but it lacks the depth of QuillBot's modes and the synonym control. If your primary need is grammar checking and you only occasionally paraphrase, Grammarly is the better choice. If paraphrasing is central to your workflow, QuillBot wins. Many writers I know use both: Grammarly for final polish, QuillBot for rewording and avoiding repetition. I broke down the differences in detail in my Grammarly vs ProWritingAid comparison.

QuillBot vs. ChatGPT

ChatGPT can paraphrase, and it does a decent job with the right prompt. But it requires manual instruction every time. You need to specify the tone, the style, the level of change. QuillBot bakes all of that into its interface, making the workflow faster and more consistent. For one-off paraphrasing tasks, ChatGPT works fine. For regular, high-volume paraphrasing as part of a daily workflow, QuillBot's specialized interface saves real time.

QuillBot vs. Wordtune

Wordtune is QuillBot's closest direct competitor. It also offers sentence-level rewriting with tone options and a focus on fluency. In my testing, Wordtune produces slightly more natural-sounding casual writing, while QuillBot handles formal and academic tones better. Wordtune's free plan is similarly restrictive. The choice between them often comes down to personal preference on interface and which one's output style matches your voice. Both are solid.

Pros and Cons Summary

✅ Pros

  • Best-in-class paraphrasing quality
  • 8 distinct paraphrasing modes for different needs
  • Synonym slider with individual word control
  • Integrated grammar checker
  • Useful summarizer for condensing long texts
  • Citation generator (APA, MLA, Chicago)
  • Chrome extension and Word add-in available
  • Translator supports 30+ languages
  • Fast, clean, and easy to use

❌ Cons

  • Free plan limited to 125 words (very restrictive)
  • Premium pricing can add up ($20/month)
  • Not a content generation tool (no original drafts)
  • Creative mode can shift meaning in subtle ways
  • Plagiarism checker costs extra
  • Grammar checker is good but not Grammarly-level
  • No team collaboration features
  • Output still requires human review

Pricing Overview

Plan Price Key Features
Free $0 125 words in paraphraser, Standard & Fluency modes only, basic summarizer, limited grammar checks
Premium (Monthly) $19.95/month Unlimited paraphrasing, all 8 modes, advanced grammar checker, full summarizer, citation generator, translator
Premium (Annual) $13.33/month Same as monthly Premium, billed $159.96 annually
Premium (3-Year) $8.33/month Same as monthly Premium, billed $299.95 every three years

*Note: Plagiarism checker is a separate add-on not included in Premium plans. Pricing for plagiarism checks varies by page count.

Who Should Use QuillBot?

Based on my testing, here is who I believe will benefit most from QuillBot:

  • Students and academic researchers: If you write papers, essays, or theses regularly, QuillBot helps you paraphrase sources properly, avoid unintentional plagiarism, and improve the fluency of your academic writing. The citation generator alone saves hours.
  • Content writers and bloggers: When you write thousands of words per week, avoiding repetition is a real challenge. QuillBot helps you vary your language and keep your content fresh without spending hours manually rewording.
  • Non-native English speakers: QuillBot is one of the best tools available for improving English fluency. It helps you sound more natural and professional by suggesting phrasing that native speakers would actually use.
  • Business professionals: For emails, reports, proposals, and presentations, QuillBot helps you find the right tone — formal for executive communication, simple for team updates, persuasive for client pitches.
  • SEO writers: When you need to write about the same topic from different angles without duplicating content, QuillBot's paraphrasing modes help you create unique variations quickly. For more on AI tools for SEO, I put together a resource on ranking higher with AI writing tools.

Who Should Look Elsewhere?

  • Those who need original content generation: QuillBot does not create new text from scratch. If you need an AI to write blog posts, emails, or stories, look at ChatGPT, Jasper, or Claude instead.
  • Casual users who paraphrase rarely: If you only need to reword something once or twice a month, the free plan's 125-word limit may be tolerable, but the Premium price is hard to justify for such light use.
  • Users who need advanced grammar and style checking: QuillBot's grammar checker is good, but Grammarly and ProWritingAid offer more sophisticated suggestions for clarity, engagement, and style.
  • Teams needing collaboration features: QuillBot is built for individual use. There are no shared workspaces, team billing, or collaborative editing features.

Tips for Getting the Most Out of QuillBot

After two years of regular use, I have developed a set of practices that make QuillBot significantly more effective. Here are my top tips:

  1. Match the mode to the task, not the other way around. Do not just leave QuillBot on Standard mode for everything. Use Fluency for polishing, Formal for professional writing, Simple for audience-friendly content, and Creative when you need a completely fresh take.
  2. Use the Synonym slider actively. Do not accept the default synonym choices. Click on highlighted words and explore alternatives. This is where QuillBot's value really shines — the fine-grained control over word choice.
  3. Paraphrase in chunks, not whole articles at once. If you paste a 1,000-word article into the paraphraser, you will get a mess. Break content into paragraphs or sections of 150-300 words and paraphrase each one individually. The quality difference is dramatic.
  4. Combine QuillBot with a dedicated grammar checker. QuillBot's grammar tool is useful during paraphrasing, but for final polish, run your content through Grammarly or ProWritingAid. The combination of QuillBot for rewording plus a dedicated grammar tool for polishing is a powerful workflow.
  5. Always review Creative mode output carefully. Creative mode produces the most substantial changes, but it also has the highest risk of meaning shifts. Read every sentence and verify that the core meaning is intact.
  6. Use the summarizer as a research filter. Before reading a long article or report, paste it into the summarizer. If the summary suggests it is highly relevant, read the full thing. If not, you saved valuable time.

💡 Pro Tip: QuillBot works best as part of a writing workflow, not as a standalone tool. Pair it with a content generator for drafts, a grammar checker for polish, and a plagiarism checker for verification. Each tool handles its specialty, and the combined result is better than any single tool alone.

My Experience After Two Years of Using QuillBot

I have been using QuillBot consistently for over two years now, and it has earned a permanent place in my writing toolkit. Not because it is flashy or exciting or because it does something magical. But because it solves a specific, recurring problem that every writer faces: how to say something differently without sounding awkward or losing the original meaning.

I use QuillBot almost every time I write a blog post. Not for the whole post — I write my own drafts. But when I am editing and I notice I have used the same phrase three times, or when a paragraph feels clunky but I cannot figure out how to fix it, or when I need a formal version of something I wrote casually, QuillBot is there. It takes a task that used to require mental effort and makes it almost effortless.

I have also learned where not to use it. I do not use Creative mode for client work that involves sensitive or precise language. I do not paraphrase academic sources and submit them without thorough review. I do not assume the grammar checker catches everything. And I do not let QuillBot replace my own judgment about what sounds right. The tool is an assistant, not an authority.

For writers, students, and professionals who regularly need to rephrase, reword, and refine text, QuillBot is the best tool I have found. The free plan is too limited for real work, which is frustrating, but the Premium plan — especially on the annual or three-year billing — delivers genuine value if paraphrasing is part of your daily workflow. It will not write content for you. It will not replace your voice. But it will make the editing process faster, smoother, and less repetitive. And for that, I recommend it without hesitation to the right user.

Frequently Asked Questions

❓ Is QuillBot free to use?

QuillBot offers a free plan, but it is very limited. You can paraphrase up to 125 words at a time and access only two paraphrasing modes (Standard and Fluency). The summarizer is also limited, and you get basic grammar checks. The free plan is enough to test the tool and see how it works, but for any regular use, you will need the Premium plan. The Premium plan unlocks unlimited paraphrasing, all 8 modes, the full summarizer, citation generator, translator, and advanced grammar checker. Pricing starts at $19.95 per month or $8.33 per month on the three-year plan.

❓ Can QuillBot paraphrase without changing the meaning?

Yes, especially in Standard and Fluency modes. QuillBot is designed to preserve the original meaning while rewording the text. Standard mode balances change and accuracy, making it the safest choice when meaning preservation is critical. Fluency mode focuses on making text read more smoothly while maintaining meaning. Creative mode is more aggressive and has a higher risk of subtle meaning shifts, so it requires more careful review. Always read QuillBot's output and verify that the core message is intact before using it. In my testing, Standard mode preserved meaning correctly over 90% of the time.

❓ Does QuillBot help avoid plagiarism?

QuillBot can help you paraphrase source material in your own words, which is an important step in avoiding plagiarism. However, paraphrasing alone is not enough. Proper citation is still required when using ideas, research, or arguments from other sources. QuillBot includes a citation generator that supports APA, MLA, and Chicago formats, which helps you cite sources correctly. The plagiarism checker (sold separately and powered by Turnitin) can scan your work and flag sections that are too similar to existing content. Use both responsibly: paraphrase to put ideas in your own words, and cite your sources to give credit. No tool makes plagiarism "safe" — it is about using the tools ethically.

❓ Can QuillBot write essays or generate original content?

No. QuillBot is not a content generation tool. It does not write original essays, articles, or blog posts from scratch. Its core function is paraphrasing — rewording existing text. It can help you improve your own writing, vary your language, and rephrase source material, but it will not generate new ideas, arguments, or content. If you need an AI tool that creates original text, you should look at ChatGPT, Jasper, or Claude instead. QuillBot is a writing enhancement tool, not a writing generation tool.

❓ Is QuillBot worth $20 a month?

It depends entirely on how much you paraphrase. If you are a student writing weekly papers, a content writer producing daily blog posts, or a professional who regularly rewrites reports and communications, the time QuillBot saves will easily justify $20 a month (or $8.33/month on the three-year plan). If you only paraphrase occasionally — once or twice a month — the price is harder to justify, and you may be better off using free alternatives or the limited free plan. Consider your own usage: if you find yourself manually rewording text for more than an hour a week, QuillBot Premium will likely save you enough time to be worth the cost.

❓ Does QuillBot work with Google Docs and Microsoft Word?

Yes. QuillBot offers a Chrome extension that works in Google Docs, allowing you to paraphrase text directly within your documents without switching tabs. There is also a Microsoft Word add-in that integrates QuillBot's paraphrasing and grammar checking into Word. Both integrations work well in my testing, though the Word add-in occasionally requires reinstallation after Word updates. The Chrome extension is the smoother of the two and is my preferred way to use QuillBot within existing documents. These integrations are available to Premium users.

Final Verdict

8.2 / 10

QuillBot is the best AI paraphrasing tool available today. Its paraphrasing quality, mode flexibility, and synonym control are unmatched by any competitor I have tested. It is not a content generation tool, its free plan is frustratingly limited, and the Premium pricing requires a real commitment — but if paraphrasing is a regular part of your writing workflow, QuillBot saves genuine time and produces genuinely better writing. I recommend it to students, content writers, non-native English speakers, and any professional who regularly needs to rephrase and refine text. It will not replace your writing, but it will make your editing faster, smoother, and more effective.

Disclosure: This review is based on my personal testing and experience over two years. I pay for the QuillBot Premium plan myself. This article contains no affiliate links for QuillBot. Some other links on Vexaruno may be affiliate links, but this does not influence my ratings or opinions. I recommend tools I genuinely use and believe are worth your time.

Comments